Thursday, December 8, 2016

Revised What Does Eating Local Mean to You?

            I don’t know if its genetics but it’s a known fact amongst my family that none of us can garden. That being said, it in no way limited our love for home-grown, local food just because our tomato plants always died. Instead we sought refuge in the local farmer’s markets. At least once a month we’d take the short drive to the farmer’s market and spend the day there. My mom would shop for groceries and all natural olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette while my dad would get his fill at the peanut stand. My siblings and I would search for the kettle corn and any of our favorite fruits. We would stroll the aisles of venders that greeted us with warm smiles as they showcased their seasons pickings. At times, we would beg my mom to splurge on some unnecessary home-made candy or run around causing a ruckus until my dad told us to calm down. Regardless of our actions, going to the farmer’s market was always an adventure as a child.
While we didn’t get all our groceries from the farmer’s market, we supplemented what we got from the supermarket at the farmer’s market. My parents always felt it was important to support local businesses as well as feed us kids with foods that were essentially just good for us. Now, being a college student away from my family, I miss those weekends at the farmer’s markets more than ever. Eating locally wasn’t just about eating foods that I knew were good for me and fresher. It became a symbol of a great family tradition that I will always cherish. Plus, the Burke farmer’s market always had the best kettle corn.


http://foodfeelingsandfilm.blogspot.com/2016/09/what-does-eating-local-mean-to-you.html

No comments:

Post a Comment