Thursday, December 8, 2016

Revised Trying New Food


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omiSppfmGVM

I wasn’t really surprised by the reactions of the people in this video towards the food they were eating. Realistically, fast food is never going to compare to the quality of a homemade meal. I was a little surprised that they liked some of the foods from Panda Express considering usually commercialized Chinese restaurants doesn’t compare to the authenticity of real Chinese food. Some meals from Panda Express weren’t even an authentic Chinese dish or used with proper Chinese utensils. It was interesting to see how Chinese foods contrasted to the quality of Chinese food of Panda Express. I was surprised that some of the people responded well to the hot and sour soup but it was also very negatively received by other people so their perception of authentic Chinese food varies amongst the people.
For the most part, I didn’t feel a connection of similarity towards the video however, I think I can relate in the sense that when I eat at non-Arabic restaurants and they serve falafel or shawarma, most of the time I am disappointed by the outcome. Usually, I feel like non Mediterranean restaurants that try to serve Arabic food aren’t properly seasoning or marinating their meat and vegetables. I remember seeing my mom cover chicken thighs with a blend of bright red spices. I suppose to people who haven’t eaten authentic Arabic food would probably consider it as good Arabic cuisine.
Overall, I really enjoyed the video and felt it really showcased how American consumerism has capitalized on different cultures but don’t actually reflect the true authenticity and originality of classical food. Although, it can be argued that these franchises are trying to spread these cultures and create a community of diversity however in most cases, this isn’t true. The second video I found really entertaining, it was different from the first video in the sense that the people weren't trying foods that were trying to replicate their own cultural snacks. However, it does showcase how consumerism affects food nationwide in terms of quality of food. They were simply trying snacks we eat in America and comparing it to what they eat in India. I enjoyed seeing their reactions especially to the Turkey Jerky. Additionally, it’s interesting to see the comparison of how much processed and unhealthy food we eat in America compared to other countries, somosas may not necessarily be the healthiest snack option but they are definitely better than a bag of Doritos.
http://foodfeelingsandfilm.blogspot.com/2016/09/trying-new-food.html


No comments:

Post a Comment