Thursday, December 8, 2016

Revised Fancy Restaurant vs. Experience

All my life, any important holiday, event, or birthday was commemorated with a fantastic meal. My mother would cook up a storm in the kitchen, hours before the meal was served. Any attempt to help her would result in getting shoo-ed out of the kitchen or given a menial task that had no real importance to the dish overall. Eating a home-made meal was an important way for my mom to remind me of her arab culture to me as I grew up in America.
 After reading Norma Buama Joseph's article I've realized that sharing a good meal with people you love can be one of the most memorable experiences you can partake in. I truly believe that food is the language of memory as seen by how it commemorates major religious traditions. In my family, if a night of Ramadan goes by without a full 5 course meal being made its practically a crime. Eating samosas reminds me of laughing with my siblings as we struggled to perfectly fold them. Khoubs, a sweet Yemeni bread, reminds me of pre-sunrise breakfasts before a full day of fasting. I have loved coming from a family where culturally and religiously food has highlighted so many holidays. It's allowed each holiday to be more memorable because of how a dish can be so captivating of many senses. Sharing a moment of really spectacular food with people you love and care about really imprints that moment in your memory even though at times it can come at a high price.
http://foodfeelingsandfilm.blogspot.com/2016/09/fancy-restaurant-vs-experience_13.html


No comments:

Post a Comment